Monday, July 12, 2010

12 years and counting...or An Unlikely Anniversary

I'll admit it, when I first came to NYC as an undergrad there were stars in my eyes. I was enchanted--thrilled by the hum and buzz, the electricity coursing through the Big Apple. It was great; it was exciting; it was perfect...for a few years.

Next month, I will hit my twelve year anniversary of city-dwelling and the honeymoon period is long over. The excitement replaced by the mundanities of sticky summers and carrying heavy groceries over multiple blocks while I secretly dream of country life and drool over the idea of vegetable patches and milking cows. Of course, the reality is that I just signed on for another five years of City life as I pursue graduate work ...so it is time for a little change.

After a bit of consideration, I decided to start a "bucket list" -- new places to see, things to do, and of course foods to eat! all in the name of rediscovering the excitement and wonder of this unique city.  While I don't have a formalized list (at least, not yet), here are a few ideas that have made it to the initial version:
  • Touring the Atlantic Avenue Tunnel in Brooklyn, a forgotten section of the Long Island Railroad which supposedly holds the distinction of being one of the world's first subway systems, as well as a rather seedy history;
  • Enjoying the cliche 'hot dog in Coney Island';
  • Hunting for the best cheesecake in the City, starting with the magnificent seven; and,
  • Finally finding the Cloisters, a branch of the Metropolitan Museum devoted to the art and architecture of medieval Europe. (On two separate occasions, I have set out to explore the Cloisters, but managed to take a lovely tour of Fort Tryon Park instead...so I might need a little help from my friends on this one!)
Please let me know if you have any suggestions!

1 comment: